Weblog: running perl 6
in Perl 6
What can I do with Perl 6 today?
What can YOU do with Perl 6 Now, Today, This minute?
- Add tasks, exercises, and projects that can be done today with perl 6.
- Include brief explanations:
- How to run?
- What is required?
- Cite benchmarks (e.g. vs Perl 5, Python, Ruby, etc.), if possible.
- Each item should link to a page that gives a summary of its status (possible, buggy, depends on X) and includes or links to examples, benchmarks, articles, code, etc.
- Some places to check for potential content ideas:
Run Some Code
- Get and make Rakudo:
- Get and Make parrot
- svn co https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot
- perl ./Configure.pl
- use parrot languages/perl6/perl6.pbc some_code.p6
- Try make perl6 and then you can use ./perl6 some_code.p6
- Download some perl6 examples (from the github perl6-examples repo)
- git clone git://github.com/eric256/perl6-examples.git
- Download more perl6 examples (from the pugs repo)
- svn co http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/examples/
Solve Mathematical / Computer Science Problems and Exercises
- Random Access
Networking / IPC
- CGI (see November wiki below)
- NMS scripts
- Apache Modules
- ini files (simple task, just do it!)
- Apache logs
- Aeronautical / Weather Data Feeds
- Pie chart
- Render Vector / Bitmap Images
- Ascii Art
- 3D Graphics
- WIMP GUI
- Command line arguments/options
- November - wiki engine (simple CGI, HTML::Template and URI ports live in repo)
Use (Some) Perl 5 Modules from Perl 6
Use Other Languages from Perl 6