Perl 6: Revision 191
Welcome to the Official Perl 6 Wiki
(Also see the Official Parrot Wiki and the Official Perl 5 Wiki.)
Perl 6 is the "Super-Perl" successor of Perl 5
- "We're really serious about reinventing everything that needs reinventing." — Larry Wall (2000).
- "The Perl 6 design process is about keeping what works in Perl 5, fixing what doesn't, and adding what's missing. That means there will be a few fundamental changes to the language, a large number of extensions to existing features, and a handful of completely new ideas. These modifications, enhancements, and innovations will work together to make the future Perl even more insanely great...." — Damian Conway (2003).
- "Perl 6 and Parrot have some extremely ambitious goals, and it’s my belief that the value and impact of our hard work and patience is going to play out for a very long time — that is, over at least many decades." — Patrick Michaud (2006).
First Look Shortcuts
If you ...
- are curious, read What is Perl 6?, Learn About Perl 6, and The Long Perl 6 Super-Feature List.
- want to learn abou Perl 6 in general, explore the Documentation.
- want to help Perl 6 be released faster, read about Getting Involved and Perl 6 Sponsors and Supporters.
- want to talk to developers about Perl 6, read Mail Lists, IRC, Archives about IRC channel #perl6.
- want to read the latest Perl 6 news, see the Perl 6 News section below, or see the combined Perl 6 RSS News Feeds.
- are interested in Perl 6 books, products, services, jobs, etc., see Perl 6 Books and Media and the Perl 6 Marketplace.
- Learn About Perl 6 (What it is, articles, anti-FUD, etc.)
- The Long Perl 6 Super-Feature List (Perl 6++! "All Your Paradigms Are Belong To Us." :-)
- Run Perl 6 Now (Play with Perl 6 in your browser, right now! No installation needed. Based on Pugs.)
- Glossary of Perl 6 Terms and Jargon ("-Ofun", IRC and newsgroup slang, "Perl 6" versus "perl6".)
- Larry Wall's Talks (Postmodern design theory and other forms of ingenius pramatism, plus the State of the Onion series.)
- Perl 6 Articles and Presentations (The pace is definitely picking up.)
- Perl 6 People (Sponsors and supporters, plus who is doing what, who is interested in what, potential collaborators, etc.)
- Perl 6 implementations (TMTOWTDI!)
- Pugs (Perl 6 compiler implemented in Haskell.)
- KindaPerl6 (A bootstrapping Perl 6 compiler with multiple emitter backends.)
- Rakudo (Perl 6 on Parrot; Parrot is a virtual machine for dynamic languages, especially including Perl 6.)
- Perl 6 for Perl 5 (Including Perl 5.10, Perl 6-ish modules, etc.)
- SMOP (Simplistic Meta Object Programming / Small Matter Of Programming: a non-VM C runtime engine for running Perl 6.)
Documentation and Other Information
- Mail Lists, IRC, Archives (Developer and user hotlines, plus logs and archives.)
- Getting Involved (Help hack Perl 6, or write new test cases, or work on docs.)
- Related Projects (CPAN6, PITA, and more.)
- Perl 6 Marketplace (Products, services, jobs, and so on.)
About This Wiki
Perl 6 News Outlets
Latest Planet Perl 6 Postings
The list below is dynamically generated when you load this page.