Hackathon Chicago, Nov 10-12, 2006
Perl 6 & Parrot
Leader: Chip Salzenberg
Interested: Rick Scott, Andrew Johnson
Perl 6 is the next release of Perl 5, and is quite an undertaking. Parrot is the virtual machine that underlies Perl 6, and will allow other languages to run on top of it.
Chip Salzenberg, the pumpking for Parrot, and Jerry Gay, bon vivant and man about town, will be at the hackathon to organize this effort.
One of Chip's first tasks is preparing a new Parrot release.
Jerry will be finalizing the design of the SmartLink implementation, collecting a list of problems and solutions for both pmc and object, and writing a spec for IPC::Run-like control of a parrot interpreter.
We've got a laundry list of other tasks, including:
- Working as a group on one subsystem to be named later, e.g. I/O or exceptions
- C code cleanups
- Name standardization
- Function call overhauling
- Fix C namespace pollution to make Parrot clean for embedding
- Adding tests
- Automatic code generation
- Static code analysis with lint and splint
- Dynamic code analysis with valgrind and other testing tools
- Improve test coverage
- Other Parrot Cage Cleaners work
Some RT tickets that would be really useful for hackathoners to address: